Stir Fry Mongolian Beef
For The Stir Fry
- 570 g pound flank steak,
- 1 teaspoon baking soda,
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 15 ml water,
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil,
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce,
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce ,
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar,
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic,
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger,
- 6 dried red chilis
- 1 small diced white onion,
- 1 diced red bell pepper,
- 1 diced green bell pepper,
- 3 sliced spring onions,
- Cut flank steak against the grain into 3/4-inch cubes.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine steak, baking soda, salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, water, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, and sesame oil.
- Allow beef to marinate about 10 minutes while preparing the sauce and vegetables.
- In a small bowl whisk together oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and 2 teaspoons cornstarch.
- Heat wok or large saute pan over high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil, once hot add the beef and stir to coat.
- Spread beef evenly in pan and allow to sear for 1 minute, stir and repeat, searing two more times, 3 minutes total cook time to brown the beef.
- Add ginger, garlic, and dried chilis, stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and bell peppers, stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour sauce into the pan, stirring until it thickens, about 30-seconds.
- Taste beef and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Garnish with sliced spring onions and serve hot with rice.
Recipe and Pictures by www.jessicagavin.com