For The Balti Sauce
- 1tbls cinnamon powder
- 1 tbls ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder (or fresh green chillies)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2-4 tbs oil
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 3-4 fresh tomatoes or ½ can of tinned tomatoes or passata
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom powder
- Lemon juice of half a lemon
1. Add the cinnamon, ground coriander, turmeric, paprika, garam masala, ground cumin and chilly powder together and lightly toast them on a hot griddle or frying pan. Keep the heat low and keep stirring with a wooden spoon until you get the fragrance of the spices. Remove the mixture in a bowl and allow to cool. Prepare the Onions ,ginger and garlic. Chop the onions in slices, the garlic in small pieces and grate the ginger, In a saucepan, add the oil and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pop, add the curry leaves, onions, ginger and garlic. Keep stirring and make sure the garlic doesn't get burnt or it will ruin the taste of the sauce.
3. Once the onions are cooked, add the spice mixture to the onions and lower the heat.
4. Now add the tomatoes with one cup of hot water. Also add the salt, lemon juice and cardamom seeds and allow this to simmer on a low heat.
5. Once the sauce looks rich and thick, take it off the heat and allow to cool.
6. Once cooled, remove the curry leaves and blend the sauce to make it smooth.
For The Dish
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 4 Tbs Oil
- Basmati Rice To Serve
- Chopped Coriander to Garnish
Set Joy Stove up to run at a medium heat. Place Wok on to the Joy Stove.
Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a cast iron Wok
Add the chopped oil to the Wok and gently Saute onion.
When the onion has begun to soften add the red pepper.
Sauté for 5 minutes, then remove from wok to a clean bowl
Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the cast iron wok and all to heat up.
Add the chicken to the wok and fry on all sides for around 5 minutes.
Add the onion and red pepper back to the wok and combine.
Add the Balti sauce to the Wok and combine.
Gently simmer for 15 minutes.
Serve over Basmati Rice and garnished with the chopped coriander.